Renewable Natural Gas Action Plan Launches
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
To share this article, click
one of these service icons:
CALSTART is creating an initiative to speed the development and advancement of RNG (Renewable Natural Gas, also known as Biomethane) in transportation use, bringing together partners to significantly accelerate the growth of the industry.
The mission of the newly-formed RNG Industry Action group (RNG-IAG) is to create greater RNG production and distribution, encourage and direct the fuel to use in transportation, and develop a strong and robust RNG industry at commercial levels of production, distribution and application. Our approach is joint and coordinated industry action, presenting a unified voice.
The RNG-IAG will represent multiple companies and all levels of the value chain, across sectors and company sizes, organized and coordinated by CALSTART. As in other areas of clean transportation (such as advanced clean trucks with HTUF), CALSTART will coordinate industry actions to target and resolve key barriers to industry growth. The RNG-IAG can help deliver progress along several avenues including policy, technology, and market development.
CALSTART has examined the technology, market and regulatory situation, and outlined some critical first priorities, which were further clarified in the Jumpstarting RNG in Transportation Workshop held in November. The objective for the first year of effort by the RNG-IAG is to produce measurable positive change in these three top-priority areas.
1. Level the Incentive Playing Field
2. Work to Open Access to Pipelines
3. Conduct an Outreach and Education Campaign for RNG
There are additional critical actions the RNG-IAG Executive Committee will consider working to:
- Leverage carbon reduction and other GHG benefits of RNG.
- Ensure continued AB118 funding and delivering successful projects under that initiative; prepare for LCFS implementation.
- Link users and producers, to define pricing and delivery models and quantify the supply and demand for RNG as a transportation fuel.
- Lower gas cleanup technology costs and other costs of production; support trial projects and testing of RNG in all classes of vehicles.
For more information on the RNG-IAG, contact Mike Ippoliti at 626-744-5620 or email@example.com